PM Gati Shakti
Prime Minister launched PM Gati Shakti - National Master Plan for Multi-modal Connectivity, essentially a digital platform to bring 16 Ministries including Railways and Roadways together for integrated planning and coordinated implementation of infrastructure connectivity projects. The multi-modal connectivity will provide integrated and seamless connectivity for movement of people, goods and services from one mode of transport to another. It will facilitate the last mile connectivity of infrastructure and reduce travel time for people.
PM Gati Shakti will incorporate the infrastructure schemes of various Ministries and State Governments like Bharatmala, Sagarmala, inland waterways, dry/land ports, UDAN etc. Economic Zones like textile clusters, pharmaceutical clusters, defence corridors, electronic parks, industrial corridors, fishing clusters, Agri zones will be covered to improve connectivity & make Indian businesses more competitive. It will also leverage technology extensively including spatial planning tools with ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation) imagery developed by BiSAG-N (Bhaskaracharya National Institute for Space Applications and Geoinformatics).
PM Gati Shakti is based on six pillars:
Over the years, government has taken multiple initiatives in promoting waterways transportation and speeding infrastructure
- Comprehensiveness: It will include all the existing and planned initiatives of various Ministries and Departments with one centralized portal. Each and every Department will now have visibility of each other's activities providing critical data while planning & execution of projects in a comprehensive manner
- Arth Ganga and Arth Brahmaputra for holistic and sustainable development leveraging NW-1 and NW-2 for freight and passenger movement.
- Prioritization: Through this, different Departments will be able to prioritize their projects through cross-sectoral interactions.
- Optimization:The National Master Plan will assist different ministries in planning for projects after identification of critical gaps. For the transportation of the goods from one place to another, the plan will help in selecting the most optimum route in terms of time and cost.
- Synchronization: Individual Ministries and Departments often work in silos. There is lack of coordination in planning and implementation of the project resulting in delays. PM Gati Shakti will help in synchronizing the activities of each department, as well as of different layers of governance, in a holistic manner by ensuring coordination of work between them.
- Analytical: The plan will provide the entire data at one place with GIS based spatial planning and analytical tools having 200+ layers, enabling better visibility to the executing agency.
- Dynamic: All Ministries and Departments will now be able to visualize, review and monitor the progress of cross-sectoral projects, through the GIS platform, as the satellite imagery will give on-ground progress periodically and progress of the projects will be updated on a regular basis on the portal. It will help in identifying the vital interventions for enhancing and updating the master plan.
Integrated Infrastructure Development Model
- GIS based digital platform for planning of multimodal Infrastructure Connectivity
- Strategic logistics assets / infrastructure and planning related data layers (railway lines, highways, bypasses, network of logistics parks etc.) of central of central ministries / states / UT’s being mapped.
- Network mapping of logistics parks (MMLPs, AFS, CFS, ICDs) on PM GatiShakti NMP to increase visibility, optimize network use, greater connectivity and enable holistic planning.
- Master portal and individual portals for central ministries, states, UTs being developed.
- Decision making and planning tools.
Uses of PM GatiShakti
- Infra and economic ministries (MOPSW, steel, coal mines, fertilizer etc.) can visualize existing and ongoing projects and identify critical infra gaps
- Projects can be planned in the platform – DPR preparation, optimum alignment planning, synchronized implementation of projects, minimizing disruptions.
- Decision making / approvals, cost estimations & NOC through tools
- Various ministries requirement is addressed through this portal
- Dynamic dashboards facilitate monitoring of the projects and status of data integration, at a glance
- Simple and easy to operate